Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, July 16, 2012

Big’s Little Kyung-joon, Shin


This kid’s got it made for his first big network project, playing Kang Kyung-joon in the latest Hong sisters drama Big: he gets to lie in a coma while Gong Yoo plays his character. Jackpot! The 21-year old model-turned-actor-turned-idol Shin (whole name: Shin Won-ho) is just getting started in the biz, but already he’s got buzz. The things a coma can do for a career. Here he is in a fashion spread for CéCi, practicing his smoldering stare.
If you ask me, I think the coma’s actually a gaping flaw in the show. I love watching Gong Yoo play Kyung-joon, but the lack of screentime for Shin means we have a very tenuous connection to the original Kyung-joon, who is by all accounts the hero of the story. Not to mention it’s confusing. Lately we’re getting more flashbacks of Past Kyung-joon with Mari, so hopefully those will continue and grow meatier as the series goes on.
Even though Gong-Yoo-as-Kyung-joon is the best thing about the show, I hope for my brain’s sake that they switch back earlier than the eleventh hour. Because I want to root for Shin-as-Kyung-joon too. Whether that change can be done seamlessly is the big question mark, but I’ll be optimistic.
Body swap confusion. Brain melty. Big airs Mondays-Tuesdays on KBS.
Via Osen