Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, August 20, 2012

Lee Jong-seok cast in Drama Special


Aw, my favorite member from the High Kick 3 crew Lee Jong-seok (my favorite character, at least; I think Park Ha-sun wins for favorite cast member overall) has been cast in his next project, which will be a short Drama Special episode called When I Was Prettiest.
My immediate response is to make a quip about flower boys and winking at the audience, but reading on I see it’s about a girl who’s sick (the one who remembers feeling pretty, I presume) and now I feel bad. Hey, is it my fault for thinking the obvious thing?
Looks like this’ll be set at university (I love campus stories), with Lee Jong-seok playing a campus heartthrob and engineering major who captures the fancies of all the girls. When his girlfriend falls ill, he nurses her… but meets a new girl, and falls in love.
Billed as a coming of age story, I anticipate that it’ll focus on the thoughtful and poignant moments, as many Drama Specials do. Often only one episode (some stretch for multiple episodes), the series likes to tell small stories that focus on the human moments, which can be quite moving despite the short running time. So while the conflict sounds big and dramatic, I expect it’ll be a quieter story without any makjang twists.
(The description, however, totally did make me think of the sweeping, angsty campus melo-love-triangle music video (heh) starring Lee Jun-ki as the guy who falls for a new girl while being indebted to the old one. I love how MVs can make anything epic. If you care to watch the “Grace” MV trio, here are Part 1, 2, and 3. You have to watch till the third to make sense of it all.)
When I Was Prettiest airs on August 26.